Posts Tagged ‘Scott Hedges’

If the problem is an emergency, call 911.

* Share your complaint. Send to <cleanairfairbanks@gmail.com>. To get action, distribute widely; see: Officials’ Email Addresses.

* Report air pollution to Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation https://dec.alaska.gov/Applications/Air/airtoolsweb/Complaints/Index Include the address of the smoke source (or description of location) and how you have been “unreasonably nuisanced.” Attach photos, medical files, complaint logs. Problems reported after working hours or over the weekend may not be read until regular working hours. Check the box to request a copy of your complaint be emailed to you. To report complaints to Fairbanks DEC by phone, call 451-5173.

FNSB and ADEC need citizens to report unreasonable nuisances that inspectors can verify. Certified smoke inspectors are the only witnesses necessary for visible emission violations [Wood smoke: 18 AAC 50.075(a)(2) & 18 AAC 50.245(b). Coal smoke: 18 AAC 50.055(a)]. State and local agencies have never found or ticketed an air pollution violation.

* Report air pollution to Fairbanks North Star Borough http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/airquality/concern.aspx or to aqip@fnsb.us, phone 459-1005, fax 459-1006. Include date, time, address of the smoke source, & description of air pollution problem.

Report a safety problem in public schools and buildings to FNSB Human Resources Dept., Div. of Health & Safety http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/hr/Pages/EmployeeSafety_ReportSafetyConcern.aspx  phone 459-1456, fax 459-1187.

Keep your own log of smoke problems, including descriptions, photos, videos, and daily notes. Smoke Complaint Log PDF or Smoke Complaint Log DOC Collect medical records and receipts relating to how you have been harmed by the air pollution.

Your confidentiality: Complaints may be submitted anonymously. However, complaints submitted with name and phone number allow more resources to be assigned to your complaint.

* Report air pollution in City of Fairbanks to the City Council http://www.fairbanksalaska.us/city-council/contact-the-council

* Report air pollution in City of North PoleMayor Bryce Ward bryce.ward@northpolealaska.org phone 488-8584, fax 488-3002, cell 888-4444.

* Report environmental violations or emergencies to the EPA or send smoke complaints to EPA Region 10 Administrator Dennis McLerran r10administrator-mclerran@epa.gov (800)424-4372. (EPA Region 10)

Is my complaint about a “violation” or an “emergency”? Read EPA’s explanation of the difference between a violation and an emergency. “If you are involved in or witness an environmental emergency that presents a sudden threat to public health, you must call the National Response Center at: 1-800-424-8802.”

  • You are not alone. Residents have submitted over 500 air quality complaints in our community since 2008.
  • Move. Your health is worth it.
  • Protect yourself and those you love. Avoid exposure. Don’t assume your child is safe at school from exposure to harmful levels of air pollution. Don’t assume your employer will make sure that your workplace is safe from smoke.
  • Share your complaint with others. Complain to your union, employer, child’s principal, and school superintendent; file workers’ compensation claims; boycott smoky churches and businesses; contact your elected officials; submit complaints to all relevant pollution control agencies.
  • Pursue legal options. Have you or a family member been injured by air pollution? Take legal action to stop an injurious source of air pollution and to be compensated for your injuries. Don’t wait. A two-year statute of limitations may apply. Injury includes physical harms and economic losses. Contact a personal injury attorney. Be willing to pay to start the process. No attorney has been willing to take air pollution injury on a contingency basis.

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: