Update 2/22/2012: Coal use measure expected to heat up Fairbanks borough meeting, FDNM 2/22/2012
Speak Against MORE Coal Burning in Neighborhoods and
Against Government Corruption
What: Assembly hearing on proposed Ordinance 2012-09 (sponsor substitute), see Agenda
When: Thursday, Feb. 23, 2012 @ 6 pm
Where: Borough Administration Building, Assembly Chambers, 809 Pioneer Road, Fairbanks
This is your last chance to testify against opening the door to more coal burning appliances in the nonattainment area. If coal smoke and the prospect of more coal smoke concern you, you need to say so now. This is also the time to stand up against government corruption and deceit: how the Borough illegally approved the dirty Titan 2 coal boiler and then has been covering it up.
Tell the Assembly:
- The approval of Titan 2 must be immediately withdrawn. (during Citizen’s Comments at 6 pm)
- The language in 2012-09 (Section 2, lines 55-56) to allow the Borough to approve more coal-burning appliances must be removed. (during Public Hearing at 7 pm)
- The Assembly should order a full investigation of Borough procedures used to approve an improperly tested and polluting coal boiler. (BOTH!)
The first coal burner the already approved by the Borough, Titan 2, will likely replace oil furnaces and emit 175 times more PM 2.5, plus high levels of toxic metals: lead, selenium, beryllium, and mercury.
The ordinance will even make our stove change-out program the only one in the nation (and perhaps the world) that pays you $2,500 to put in a qualifying coal appliance (like Titan 2) to replace a nonqualifying appliance. At under 6 cents a pound, that government cash payment intended to improve air quality would buy 21 tons of coal. Price out a ton of coal at North Pole Coal. Is this taking us backwards or what?
You may wonder why Nadine Winters, John Davies, and Mayor Luke Hopkins are doing this. Good question, it’s makes no sense and hurts our health. Ask them why they covered up the approval of the dirty Titan 2. Ask them why they want to allow more dirty coal burners and how it will improve our air quality. The coal dealer in North Pole wouldn’t have been so successful promoting coal burning as the solution to our air quality problem without help from the inside.
Email your concerns whether or not you’re coming to testify:
Matt Want <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Diane Hutchison <email@example.com>
Guy Sattley <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Mike Musick <email@example.com>
Karl Kassel <firstname.lastname@example.org>
John Davies <email@example.com>
Natalie Howard <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Nadine Winters <email@example.com>
Michael Dukes <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Mayor Luke Hopkins <email@example.com>
Jeff Jacobson – Chief of Staff <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Todd Thompson – FNSB Air Quality staff <email@example.com>
Please CC: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Documentation and Sources on Clean Air Fairbanks:
- Report: Why did the Borough Approve the Titan 2 Coal Boiler? Questions and Answers (evidence of corruption and deceit)
- What Were Air Pollution Commissioners Told? What Were They NOT Told? (transcript of APCC hearing)
- FNSB Coal-Gate: Borough Illegally Approves Coal Boiler (16 reasons to withdraw the approval of Titan 2 including toxic metals)
- Category: Illegal Coal-Gate Posts (all on the topic)