The city of Bakersfield has a smoke and haze problem. In 2010 Bakersfield was listed by the American Lung Association as the #1 worst city in the nation for short-term fine particulate pollution, violating the Federal standard for short-term or 24-hour average levels of 35 micrograms per cubic meter.
Bakersfield knows it has a serious problem and is taking serious steps to bring their PM 2.5 pollution down. The San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District has serious regulations to bring down their problem of smoke and haze. To cut the smoke, Bakersfield doesn’t rely on pleas for voluntary reductions. Bakersfield doesn’t resort to excuses that prohibiting burning wet wood in heaters is “too difficult to enforce.”
They’re on it like white on rice because it’s that serious. Fairbanks has a smoke problem too. On a regular winter bad air day in Fairbanks, our PM 2.5 pollution is higher than in Bakersfield. While Bakersfield doesn’t know it, they’re not #1 anymore! See: Highest Fine Particulate Pollution in the Nation.
The Bakersfield Californian published Are fireplaces going out of style? 2/26/2011 on the changing attitudes toward winter wood burning.
Here’s how they do it in Bakersfield: current San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District rules and regulations.
Rule 4901 Wood Burning Fireplaces and Wood Burning Heaters. Includes:
- Prohibition against sale of non-Phase II Certified or pellet-fueled wood burning heaters
- Real property containing wood-burning heaters transfer restrictions
- Firewood sellers moisture content standard [20% or less]
- Prohibited fuel types list [includes coal and “any other material not intended by a manufacturer for use as fuel in a solid fuel burning device.”]
- Episodic curtailment notice [aka burn bans]
- Moisture content determination method [ASTM Test Method D 4442-92]
Rule 1090 PENALTY
Rule 4001 NEW SOURCE PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
Rule 4101 VISIBLE EMISSIONS
Rule 4102 NUISANCE
Rule 4201 PARTICULATE MATTER CONCENTRATION
Rule 4202 PARTICULATE MATTER EMISSION RATE
Rule 6140 EPISODE ABATEMENT PLAN
Rule 6150 ENFORCEMENT of declared air pollution episodes